Going away on holiday is probably one of the most exciting things to look forward to after a long and busy year. The last thing you need is to stress about home security while you are relaxing on the beach with family and friends.
However, when it comes to protecting your home and all your belongings, you can’t be too careful. Contrary to what a lot of people think, most crimes occur during the day when no-one is at home. It is really important to take extra precautions with home security when you’re away, even if it’s just for a few days.
Helpful steps that you can take towards home security while enjoying a well-deserved holiday.
- If you don’t have an alarm system, consider having one installed. These days with new technology you can even monitor your home from your smartphone. Check with a security company or qualified installer what they recommend will work best for you.
- Remember to let your security company know when you’ll be away, and to alert a neighbour so they can keep an eye on your property.
- Before you leave, test that your alarm system is working properly, as well as any CCTV cameras and security beams that you might have installed.
- Do not advertise your holiday plans on social media. You never know what information criminals can find out about you on public platforms.
- Make sure you unplug all your electronic devices in case of lightning or power surges.
- Switch off your geyser. It will save on electricity and any damages caused by a burst geyser or leaking pipe.
- Consider getting a house sitter or a pet sitter while you are away. Make sure it is someone you trust or who comes highly recommended.
- It’s a good idea to do some outside maintenance before you leave, such as mowing the lawn, cleaning the yard and the gutters, and watering your plants. An overgrown lawn is a clear giveaway that you are away on holiday.
- Invest in a timer for your outside lights rather than leaving a light on that burns day and night. This could attract attention by would-be thieves.
- Double and triple check that all your doors and windows are securely closed and locked. Tightening the windows will also making it harder for thieves to pry open.
- Disconnect your garage door if it is automated and lock it manually from the inside. Don’t keep your keys in the usual hiding place outside. Thieves know where to look.
- If you’re leaving valuables at home, make sure they are out of sight by storing them in a locked cupboard or a safe.
- Consider buying a small battery operated radio and look at turning down your doorbell. It will make thieves unsure whether you’re home or not.
- Confirm with your insurance broker that all your security features are in working order, and that everything you want covered is included in your policy and insured at replacement value.
- Take time to walk through your home, take inventory of what you have and send a copy to a very trusted person or to your broker. Include important numbers such as your neighbour, friend, house sitter, insurance company and your security company.
- Remember to cancel your newspaper delivery for the period that you are on holiday.
Your home is still a target, even with adequate home security measures in place.
Whether you live on a small-holding, in the suburbs or in a security complex, your home could be a target for potential thieves. Having an insurance broker you can rely on provides the peace of mind that you deserve so you can enjoy your holiday.
Complete our online quote request form to make sure that you home content is covered while you are on vacation. Our professional consultants will assist you with speed and accuracy.